So Down I Fall (Broken Fins #1) by Alex Benedict ~ Review by Fallon


4 Out of 5 Stars

Author Description:

"I thought about killing myself the old-fashioned way: overdoing on a handful of pills, driving my truck into a tree. But I didn't want to be buried beside my mom's empty coffin. I wanted to be with her. In the deep."

I'm Grace O'Neal, the sixteen-year-old girl whose blood oozed into the ocean. If you're wondering what happened to me, I didn't die that night. Adam wouldn't let me. At first, I didn't want his help. A strange new islander with no shoes and a retro haircut. Who did he think he was? My hero? But when he pushed me to accept my mom's drowning, to heal, I realized I needed a friend. I should have known someone so weird and wonderful wasn't a normal teenage guy. I should have known my complicated life was going to get a lot more complicated when I fell in love with him ... and lost him to the sea.

Fallon's Review:

This book reminded me of The Little Mermaid with a male as the Merman.Grace a female struggling with the loss of her mother who died one stormy night and she has not been the same since. She tries to kill herself by slitting her wrists and drowning herself in the ocean. She was saved and does not remember how. Adam is the new guy in town who lives with his sisters in Grace's old home. Grace seems to be drawn to Adam but is also receiving the attention of her forever crush Nick. She remembers Nick was the one who called the ambulance after her accident.

I really liked this Mermaid book. There are interesting powers that come to play in this. There are some disturbing parts of suicide so reader be ware. I liked how the emotion was raw and stripped down though. It also was not all teen drama. The second half of this book gets into the Ocean mythology and I am so looking forward to the next book in this series. I cant say to much about the second half as I feel it would give away too much to the story. I am giving this 4 out of 5 stars. I think it was a great build to a second book.

Comments

  1. This sounds awesome. I like that you didn't give anything away. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) <3 I really try to do non-spoiler reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag