Defy (Defy #1) by Sara B. Larson ~ Review by Fallon


Defy (Defy #1) by Sara B. Larson
Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 25th 2014 by Scholastic Paperbacks


5 Out of 5 Stars

Goodread's Description:

A lush and gorgeously written debut, packed with action, intrigue, and heart-racing romance.

Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?

Fallon's Review:

Alexa has been in hiding a boy from a kingdom that treats orphan girls as nothing more then breeders for future soldiers. Her twin brother helps keep her secret. She ends up hiding in plain sight as the best sword fighter and is enlisted as a member of the Princes personal guards. Alexa is sent on a private mission for the prince as a test to see if she is trustworthy. Upon her return she is captured alone with Rylan and the Prince and taken to enemy territory.

The biggest discovery for Alexa who is known as Alex by everyone is her secret may not be such a secret. Two men have declared feelings for her. She is confused and unsure how to act. She has pretended to be a boy since she was a child and now she is feeling things she has hidden for her own protection.

Defy is full of action, romance, magic and adventure. You will tear through every chapter until you are finished. You will be craving for more. Alexa is such a feisty, strong character and I adored her. She has two very swoon worthy men wanting her love and I was swooning along with her. Defy is a book you could read over and over again and each time would be just as special and magical as the first. This is a must read and I am giving this 5 out of 5 stars.

Add to Goodreads TBR:


Buy Links:

Amazon  /  B&N  


About the Author:
I love writing, reading, and dessert--but the order varies by the day. I wrote my first book in second grade about a woman who had a premature baby, complete with a "to scale" drawing of the baby's size--while my mom was pregnant. To say I was a bit precocious is putting it lightly. Now that I'm an adult, I write books for teens that have magic and romance and kick-butt girls (and very few premature babies). I live in Utah with my husband, two young sons and baby girl. I write during naptime and the hours when most people are sleeping. My  husband claims I should have a degree in "the art of multitasking." On occasion you will find me hiding in a bubble bath with a book and some Swedish Fish. I am represented by Josh Adams of Adams Literary.

Follow Sara B. Larson here:

Twitter  /  website  /  Facebook 




Comments

  1. I gave this one three. I loved the premise but the execution was lacking for me. However, the ending totally intrigued me and I really want to read the next one. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girl hiding out as a boy, intriguing. Defy has been everywhere on the internet these days, hopefully i can't get it soon. Great review :)

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag