Tawney Thursday: Interview with author Jodi Meadows
Today I'm excited to be interviewing author Jodi Meadows!
I just loved her book The Orphan Queen, especially one certain character. This character is mysterious, handsome and heroic. His name is Black Knife. Who is Black Knife?
Character examination of Black Knife!
Black Knife is a vigilante who goes around the city fighting illegal magic. He leaps from buildings and is an excellent sword fighter. Spiderman eat your heart out! He wants to help his people and find justice in those who break the laws. Marks of a black knife are put up from people asking for help or left behind from people thanking him. He has this connection with our main character Wilhelmina that is smoldering! Now let's get to the interview with author Jodi Meadows!
1. You have so many interesting characters in The Orphan Queen from Wilhelmina to Black Knife. Who is your favorite?
Jodi: Oh I think it would be unwise for me to choose a favorite, but of course I'm partial to Wilhelmina, since it is her story, after all.
2. I just love Black Knife! So mysterious and just hot. How did you come up with his character? Is he based on a real person? ;-)
Jodi: BK is not based on a real person. Sorry! Like all my characters, he just appeared in my brain, fully formed. There's still a getting-to-know-you process, of course. I didn't realize he would be quite so . . . optimistic. But I'm glad he is.
Nuts! I do picture him as something like The Arrow!
3. Magic is a big part of your book, especially the wraith. It was such a unique concept. Was it hard to world build?
Jodi: The magic part of the worldbuilding wasn't that difficult, really. Naming things -- yes. But I knew right from the start that I wanted the Laws of Thermodynamics to play a part: energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. And the same goes for magic, in this world. So, the question was, what does magic change into?
4. Back to Black Knife! That kiss! It had to be my favorite kiss in a book....maybe all time. The silky kiss between him and Wilhelmina was smexy hot! Did you have any idea you were going to do that? I immediately thought of the spiderman kiss in the movie where Mary Jane kisses him, pulling the mask down. This was way better!
Jodi: Oh I'd been looking forward to writing that kiss as soon as I knew about it. And I knew about it pretty soon.
5. Can you tell us anything in the next book or novellas where our Black Knife will be?
Jodi: I can't say anything about THE MIRROR KING yet! It's way too soon. But, uh, it has made various friends and publishing people question the strength of our relationships.
As for the novellas, the first one will be out really soon! Think of them as a short, serialized novel . . . about Black Knife's origin.
Thank you Jodi for joining us today! I look forward to what's in store next for our favorite Black Knife!
About the book:
She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.
Order on Amazon
Until next Thursday!