Blog Tour: Nearly Found (Nearly Gone #2) by Elle Cosimano ~ Interview and Review





Hardcover, 384 pages
Expected publication: June 2nd 2015 
by Kathy Dawson Books        
(ISBN13: 9780803739277)


Goodreads Description:

The sequel to the highly praised and intricately plotted Nearly Gone--a YA urban mystery that's perfect for fans of Bones, Numbers, and The Body Finder

After Nearly Boswell starts working as an intern at a crime lab, a girl from her trailer park turns up dead. Then the corpse of a missing person is discovered, buried on a golf course, with a message for Nearly etched into the bones. When Nearly finds out the corpse is the father of Eric, a classmate of hers, she starts to worry that the body is connected to her father's disappearance five years ago. Nearly, Reece, and Nearly's classmates--Vince, Jeremy, and Eric--start a dangerous investigation into their fathers' pasts that threatens Nearly's fragile romance with Reece, and puts all them in the killer's path.


Praise:


“Tension runs high as Leigh keeps secrets, sneaks around physical and electronic security systems, and enlists allies with their own agendas. . . . every bit as nail-biting as its predecessor.”Kirkus Reviews


Review:

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with an ARC of Nearly Found for review.

Elle's Nearly found is a heart-pounding, suspense, thriller that will have you guessing who it could be until the end and then you still will probably be wrong. I know I was! This is the second book in the series but I hadn't read the first and I did not feel lost or like I missed out on any important information. So this can be read as a standalone, although I would have loved to have read the first book too. The chemistry between Nearly and Reece is amazing, and they definitely hold close comparisons for me to Bones and Booth.


Nearly has gained an internship at a crime lab, and Reece is working undercover as an informant. Nearly is smart and has a great future ahead of her if she doesn't let her past get in the way, and her future choices. Reece is a bad boy who rides a motorcycle and has made some bad choices. She is convinced he is reformed, is that by choice or because he has to.  


Nearly thought her life was back on track and everything was behind her. She knew she was still getting harassed by some kids in school but soon thing escalate and she knows that there is a bigger threat. She can't think of who would be doing this and why. She hopes to patch up her relationships with her old friends so that together they can solve the mystery. 

Will her friends Jeremy and Anh get past everything that has happened and be able to move on to be there for her? Will she be able to deal with the realities of Reece's job? Will Reece be okay with her working in the crime lab? Will you guess who is responsible for the notes and the string of stalking and crimes? I know I didn't. Read this book and find out.


Nearly found was a good read with some romance, and a lot of suspense. I really loved the relationship between Reece and Nearly and wished that they hadn't spent most of the book apart. That frustrated me. I really loved the notes and clues, I wanted that to almost get played up on a little sooner in the book. I can say it was not predictable though and I did enjoy it. I am giving it 3 out of 5 stars.




Buy Links:




Seeing Double in Neverland - interview


1. What Author is your biggest inspiration and why?

I admire many thriller authors for so many different reasons. But if I had to choose the one who most inspires me, I’d have to go with my critique partner, Megan Miranda. Megan’s characters are so real on the page, with clear deeply layered voices. Her writing is both spare and evocative, which is such a hard combination to master. She has a gift for nuance, for setting a mood, and for writing an engaging story that keeps me turning pages. There’s nothing I enjoy more than falling in to one of her thrillers.


2. What growth will readers see from Nearly from the first Novel?

Nearly’s really exploring trust and relationships in book #2. In the first book, Nearly was very much a loner with hard-set preconceptions of the world. She was very rigid in her thinking – determined to follow the rules of logic over her heart, and risk having it betrayed. Now, Nearly is letting people in. She’s in a serious relationship with Reece, she’s growing closer with her mother, and she’s found a friend and a mentor in Gena. When a series of murders strikes a little too close to home, Nearly is forced to team up with some unlikely allies in order to stop the killer. This time Nearly’s quick to break the rules -- to follow her heart in order to protect the people she’s grown to care about -- even if she isn’t entirely sure she trusts them.


3. Was their any musical inspiration for Nearly Found while writing?

I have certain “walk-on” music for each of my characters. It gets me in their headspace, and puts me in the right mood for the scene. My favorite neighborhood bad boy, Lonny Johnson, walks onto a scene to Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People. Steely and cool undercover cop, Alex “Oleksa” Petrenko walks on to The Black Keys, Tighten Up. And the mood of Reece and Nearly’s relationship comes through in duets, like Need You Now by Lady Antebellum or Just Give Me a Reason by Pink ft. Nate Ruess. Then of course, the killer enters the story to the most violent and angry song on my player -- Jesus Forgive Me (For The Thing I’m About To Say) by Concrete Blonde.


4. What has been the best advice you have received in your writing career?

In my early drafts, I was always overwriting – overexplaining and overdescribing, writing overwrought scenes. I hadn’t mastered the art of nuance. My agent once told me, “You don’t need a lot of words, Elle. You only need the right ones.” It took me a long time to begin to trust my prose, and to trust the reader to “get it”.


5. Are you a pants-er or a plotter?

When I first started writing, I was a rigid plotter. Mysteries are hard to design. They have a lot of elements to juggle; red herrings, motives, big gaping opportunities for plot holes. I was super-careful to think through the entire story to avoid writing myself into a corner, but instead, I discovered that this made my writing feel rigid too. My stories lacked that feeling of discovery and unpredictability when I over-plotted. They lacked unforeseen turns that often come when I least expect them while I’m writing my way through a scene I’ve never considered before. Since then, I’ve found a balance between pantsing and plotting that works for me. I plot the mystery elements carefully. Beyond that, I have a good idea where my story begins, and where I want it to end, and the rest is much less structured. I try to let myself have a little fun along the way.



Elle Cosimano grew up in the suburbs of Washington, DC, the daughter of a prison warden and an elementary school teacher who rides a Harley. She majored in psychology at St. Mary's College, Maryland, and set aside a successful real-estate career to pursue writing. She lives with her husband and two sons.





CONNECT WITH THE AUTHOR    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag