Tawney Thursday: Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca ~ Review


Today's review was a contemporary book of teenage drama of first love and the consequences of that love coming back into your life. I'm just getting into contemporary books so this came at the perfect time. I've always been a fantasy girl. But I might be going for more contemporary! 





3 out of 5 Stars
Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca
  • Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Simon Pulse (June 9, 2015)
  • Source: Provide from publisher

Is there anything that electric chemistry can’t overcome? The past may be gone, but love has a way of holding on in this romantic debut novel told in alternating Before and After chapters.

The summer before freshman year, Kelsey and David became inseparable best friends—until the night a misunderstanding turned Kelsey into the school joke and everything around her crumbled, including her friendship with David. So when Kelsey’s parents decide to move away, she can’t wait to start over and leave the past behind. But David’s not quite ready to be left.

Now it’s senior year and Kelsey has a new group of friends, genuine popularity, and a hot boyfriend. Her life is perfect. That is, until David’s family moves to town. Old feelings bubble to the surface and threaten to destroy Kelsey’s second chance at happiness. The more time she spends with David, the more she realizes she never let him go. And maybe she never wants to…




Tawney's Review:

Thank you Simon Pulse for providing this ARC for review. This in no way effects my review.

I've had the pleasure of following Gina on twitter for a while. She's such a sweet, fantastic person. When her book was announced I was so excited for her. The story sounded amazing and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.


Thanks to an advance reader copy I got to get a sneak peek of it early. I'm not much into best friend romances but this book sounded fun and intriguing. Something happened one summer between David and Kelsey causing a falling out. Now in her senior year, David is back. Kelsey has a boyfriend, Ryan, and moved on with her life. But those summer feelings crept back into her slowly with David's return. The novel starts in the present but reverts to the pass to piece together what happened between David and Kelsey. I liked how we saw Kelsey and David as they are now in the present but then what they were in the past together.  I never got confused and the switch. In fact, I liked it. It kept the mystery going as to what the misunderstanding was. When it was finally revealed I was sort of disappointed. But then again most teenagers have misunderstandings over stupid stuff.



The dialogue was wonderful. It felt like I really was reading about real teenage angst. It felt relatable and real. The conversations between Kelsey and David were heart wrenching. Throw in Ryan and you had an all out gut wrenching drama. And boy was there drama! Some readers may deter from this but I found it sometimes maliciously fun. However, it did get overwhelming at times. Sometimes I wanted to punch Kelsey. Imaginations can be deceiving and that sure went rampant among the teenage crew.

Each character was beautifully written. Kelsey was headstrong but a little lost. She seemed realistic to the everyday teenager. But sometimes I just wanted to knock some sense into her. I felt she could have solved all her problems with David at the beginning with a simple conversation. David and Ryan as the love triangle caused great tension. Sometimes you found yourself rooting for one or the other. No one seemed to be the "bad guy". You couldn't really hate one or the other because they had their reasons for their actions. 

This was a good romance contemporary. The pacing was great and the writing wonderful. I just had a problem with so much drama that caused some frustration. Kelsey also could be annoying at times which caused me to have a love hate relationship with her. The book was adorable but with some of the problems I had with it I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.


Get your Copy:



About Gina Ciocca
Author of LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE (Simon Pulse, 2015) Respecter of the Fluff. Lover of love. I am represented by John M. Cusick at Greenhouse Literary.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review