A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves #1) by Morgan Rhodes ~ ARC Review by Fallon


A Book of Spirits and Thieves (Spirits and Thieves #1) by
Hardcover, 368 pages
Expected publication: June 23rd 2015 
by Razorbill
ISBN13: 9781595147592
Source: ARC
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars


Fallon's Review:

I adore the Falling Kingdoms series so I was so excited to get my hands on A Book of Spirits and Thieves. I knew this was going to be part contemporary and then part of it would be in the same word as Falling  Kingdoms. I thought it would be 50/50 but it ended up being more 65/35. I also had hopes it might be more fantasy when they changed the cover. Do not let the new cover fool you. There is no scene with horses and a girl in a cape on the run. The old cover actually fit the story much better.

I found it hard to connect with the characters in this story. I am not sure if it was the rotating of POV and then the fact there were 2 worlds that had to be built up. I liked each character for different reasons but I wanted to connect and feel for them but I could not. I think the best story line was with Becca and her origins and that seemed to be skimmed over and I felt like it actually could have made the end much more intriguing. 

Now the best part about the fantasy world was the Goddess and her pet. I wanted more of the back story on her and I also wanted the other Goddess to come into play. I felt like there was so much more world building that needed to be done. I also felt a disconnect with the characters age range. Becca was only 15 but she did not act 15 so at times I forgot she was that young and when the story brought it up it made the situations seem off to me.

There was some great shining moments in this book however. I love the relationship between Cry's and Becca. The dynamics with Becca's past were captivating and what we actually do get from the fantasy world leaves the reader wanting more. I am not a huge contemporary fan so that may be one of the reasons I did not connect with this series as much but it is definitely something you should check out if you are looking for a book different from the rest out there.


About the author


Morgan Rhodes lives in Ontario, Canada. As a child, she always wanted to be a princess -- the kind that knows how to wield a sharp sword to help save both kingdoms and princes from fire-breathing dragons and dark wizards. Instead, she became a writer, which is just as good and much less dangerous. Along with writing, Morgan enjoys photography, travel, reality TV, and is an extremely picky, yet voracious reader of all kinds of books. Under another pen name, she’s a national bestselling author of many paranormal novels. Falling Kingdoms is her first high fantasy.

Check out the Falling Kingdoms Website

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag