Tawney Thursday: Legacy of Kings Review


  • Series: Blood of Gods and Royals
  • Hardcover: 432 pages
  • Publisher: Harlequin Teen (August 18, 2015)
  • 3 out 5 stars


GoodReads Description:

Imagine a time when the gods turn a blind eye to the agony of men, when the last of the hellions roam the plains and evil stirs beyond the edges of the map. A time when cities burn, and in their ashes, empires rise.

Alexander, Macedonia’s sixteen-year-old heir, is on the brink of discovering his fated role in conquering the known world but finds himself drawn to newcomer Katerina, who must navigate the dark secrets of court life while hiding her own mission: kill the Queen. But Kat’s first love, Jacob, will go to unthinkable lengths to win her, even if it means competing for her heart with Hephaestion, a murderer sheltered by the prince. And far across the sea, Zofia, a Persian princess and Alexander’s unmet fiancée, wants to alter her destiny by seeking the famed and deadly Spirit Eaters.

Weaving fantasy with the salacious and fascinating details of real history, New York Times bestselling author Eleanor Herman reimagines the greatest emperor the world has ever known: Alexander the Great, in the first book of the Blood of Gods and Royals series.


Tawney's Review:


Here is a book sweeping fantasy and history together in one. Legacy of Kings is about Alexander the great, heir of Macedonia. He is on the verge of discovering his fated role in conquering the known world. At his side is Hephaestion, Heph, his best friend and protector.



 Katerina comes to the palace on her own mission, to kill the Queen. But Kat’s foster brother and love interest, Jacob enters a Blood tournament to prove he is worthy of her. Zofia, Zo, is a Persian princess who is in love with a soldier but is promised to Alexander.



I love ancient history. In fact, Alexander’s story has always intrigued me. There are so many stories interwoven in this book that sometimes it’s hard to keep track. Eleanor did a wonderful job at keeping them weaving together. Especially with the interaction of the characters.


The story is told in the third person from six point of views: Alexander, Katerina, Jacob, Hephaestion, Cynane and Zofia.  Yes, that's a lot of characters. This was what made me give it the three stars. I didn’t feel like I could invest in some of the characters. There were some characters I wanted to see more of like Cynane and Zofia. And it's what drew me away from the book causing me to set it down a couple of times. The pace was slow at the beginning because of the set up for each character. However, I did love the characters! 

Alexander is strong willed and what's best for his country. Heph wants to be the best warrior but he's easily swayed. 



One other character that drew my attention was Queen Olympias. She is just insidious!  She wants whats best for Alexander but what she does to get it is pure evil. 





My problem with the book was just too many characters and too little time to get to know them all. Don’t get me wrong, the story was wonderful. The fantasy and historical facts intertwining together was written beautifully. There were some slight magic elements in the book that left me wanting more. I'm sure the next book will go into further detail, which I look forward to. 


Eleanor's writing was wonderful. She did a fantastic job describing Macedonia. I could totally visualize the city, the clothes and each character. 







The battle scene was epic. I was at the edge of me seat biting my nails with each turn of the page.




The ending was fantastic and it's what made me want to read the second book, where I think things escalate even further. I'll definitely continue this series to see what happens.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag