Promo Post and Interview: If You're Lucky by Yvonne Prinz


Thank you so much Yvonne for taking the time to answer our interview questions for If You're Lucky


If You're Lucky by 
Hardcover288 pages
Published October 20th 2015 
by Algonquin Young Readers
Buy Links:
Amazon * B&N

Synopsis:

Is Georgia’s mind playing tricks on her, or is the entire town walking into the arms of a killer who has everyone but her fooled?
 
When seventeen-year-old Georgia’s brother drowns while surfing halfway around the world in Australia, she refuses to believe Lucky’s death was just bad luck. Lucky was smart. He wouldn’t have surfed in waters more dangerous than he could handle. Then a stranger named Fin arrives in False Bay, claiming to have been Lucky’s best friend. Soon Fin is working for Lucky’s father, charming Lucky’s mother, dating his girlfriend. Georgia begins to wonder: did Fin murder Lucky in order to take over his whole life?  

Determined to clear the fog from her mind in order to uncover the truth about Lucky’s death, Georgia secretly stops taking the medication that keeps away the voices in her head. Georgia is certain she’s getting closer and closer to the truth about Fin, but as she does, her mental state becomes more and more precarious, and no one seems to trust what she’s saying.

As the chilling narrative unfolds, the reader must decide whether Georgia’s descent into madness is causing her to see things that don’t exist–or to see a deadly truth that no one else can. 


Praise for If You're Lucky:

If You’re Lucky by Yvonne Prinz is a smart YA psychological thriller that Kirkus Reviews calls “a solid page turner,” and Publishers Weekly boasts, “Georgia’s suspicious mind is a fascinating place to spend time… this moody murder mystery will keep readers hooked.”

“A remarkable page-turner . . . Keep[s] readers wondering, twist by twist, if Georgia’s universe will simply burst apart.” —Andrew Smith, author of Grasshopper Jungle



Interview with Author Yvonne Prinz


1) did you have to do any research while writing If You're Lucky?

I did, tons of it. I wanted to squeeze myself inside the head of a paranoid schizophrenic. I interviewed a Psychiatrist who treats people with this mental illness and several health professionals who work in the field. I had a friend in Australia on call (so patient). My reading list and Video list are at the end of the book in case anyone is interested in delving a bit further into the illness and my research.


2) What was your favorite read in 2015?

Oh, gosh, that’s a tough one. I just read an ARC of “The Girl in the Well is Me” by Karen Rivers, a middle grade book, and it blew me away. What a great story! I also adored “All My Puny Sorrows” by Miriam Toews and “Descent” by Tim Johnston and “Love Me Back” by Meritt Tierce and “Hausfrau” by Jill Alexander Essbaum


3) What was your favorite scene to write in If You're Lucky?

I have a couple: I really loved writing the scene where George wakes up to a Great Horned Owl in her bedroom and he regurgitates a pellet at her feet and she picks it up and opens it to find all of the meds she’s been spitting out. I also loved the scene in the kitchen at the Inn where George works when she cuts her finger on a knife hulling strawberries. Oh, and the lobby scene where Lucky appears and seems to be trying to tell George something.


4) What is your next project going to be?

A complicated novel about a young girl with an autistic brother who has a relationship with her guidance counselor.


5) At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was an avid reader as a child but I didn’t start to think about writing for real till I was in my late teens. I used to write TV commercials in my early twenties. You get really good at expressing something in 30 seconds. It’s nice to be able to take my time now.


6) Are you a plotter or a pantser?

A plotter. I map things out in detail before I write.


7) Whose writing most inspires you?

Jane Smiley, Lorrie Moore, A.M. Homes, Andrew Smith, Dan Chaon, Richard Russo, Larry Brown, Ron Rash, Daniel Handler, Neil Gaiman, Patrick DeWitt, Jack Gantos.


8) What do you hope readers will take away from If You're Lucky?

I hope they feel like they’ve been on a ride. I hope they don’t want it to end. I hope they feel compassion for Georgia and the illness she struggles with. I hope they miss the characters long after they close the book.


9) What TV show is a must for you to watch? (for example I can not miss Once Upon a Time)

I absolutely love “The Knick”. I’m completely hooked. What’s not to love about the dawn of surgery in a NYC hospital and a drug addicted head of surgery played by Clive Owen. OMG!!

I also love Peeky Blinders. 


10) Who is the one Author you would love to meet and maybe fangirl over?

I keep trying to meet Patrick DeWitt (The Sisters Brothers) but he keeps avoiding me. Last time I went to one of his readings he was stuck at an airport in Denver (yeah, likely story) I also want to meet Dan Chaon (he also seems to be avoiding me) and I actually did meet Lois Lowry (the Giver) and she was so wonderful.



About the Author:

…is the author of several books including the Clare series, All You Get Is Me, and The Vinyl Princess, which won the California Library Association’s John and Patricia Beatty Award, was shortlisted for an Arthur Ellis Award for Crime Fiction, and nominated for a Northern California Book Award. A Canadian living in the San Francisco Bay area, she spends her days complaining about the weather, watching foreign films (mostly French), and wondering what that noise was.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag