Blog Tour: The Rule of Mirrors (The Vault of Dreamers #2) by Caragh M. O'Brien ~ Q&A & Review



Thank you Rachel from  Fiktshun for the awesome banner!

Blog Tour Schedule:

2/17: Fiction Fare
2/20: Book Briefs
2/21: Fiktshun


Hardcover432 pages
Published February 16th 2016 
by Roaring Brook Press
Source: ARC Provided by Publisher
Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars



Synopsis

The fast-paced, psychologically thrilling sequel to The Vault of Dreamers follows Rosie after her consciousness has been split in two.

The entire country was watching when Rosie Sinclair was expelled from Forge, the prestigious arts school that doubles as a reality TV show. But few know how Dean Berg was mining students' dreams in laboratories deep below the school. And no one, least of all the Dean himself, knows that when Rosie's dreams were seeded into the mind of another patient, Rosie's consciousness woke up in that body--a girl far from Forge, a girl with a completely different life from Rosie, a girl who is pregnant.

Told from alternating points of view between Rosie as she makes sense of her new identity and the shattered subconscious that still exists in her old body, this sequel to The Vault of Dreamers will keep readers on the edge of their seats and leave them hungry for more.



Review:

Thank you Fierce Reads for sending me an ARC of The Rule of Mirrors for review. This in no way affected my opinion.

Wow is all I need to say. This book was so messed up in such a good way. I would literally freak out if I woke up in a pregnant women's body. I am a mom of four and the first felt like she said "having an alien inside you." However this is not her body or her baby. She has been seeded and implanted in a brain that was not functioning and was in a coma. This story line was so different then the first book but kept me intrigued through out. So now part of Rosie is in a girl named Althea. The question is how do you get the people you love to know it really is you when you look and sound nothing like the person you were.

Then you have the Rosie that is stuck in a facility with a weird creeper who seems to have a sick fascination with her. She is willing to play along to win her freedom. Rosie does not have the same luxury of freedom since everyone in the country is looking for her. She however is still under Berg's custody and he keeps her in a dream state to seed her. Ian has always known Rosie was different by watching her on the show. Now he gets to watch her up close. Soon she becomes a very real part of his life and he wakes her when no one is around to spend time with her.

Taking the chance Rosie escapes and is determined to find a way back to the life she had once before. This book is full of twists and turns with dual POV's that have you turning through the pages. I loved The Vault of Dreamers and I love The Rule of Mirrors. Both are exceptional books of their own rights. Caragh has such a great way of tearing into the psyche of a persons mind. This is a thriller but more of a mind bender. This is a must read.


Buy Here:


Interview with Author Caragh M. O'Brien


1) Did you have to do any research while writing this series?

First, let me say thanks, Fallon, for having me by Seeing Double in Neverland. You have been so kind about supporting my novels on your blog, and it’s great to be with you for the Rule of Mirrors Blog Tour.  As for research, yes, I’ve looked up some basic info on brain and dream research.  They are fascinating fields, but I don’t want to mislead anyone into thinking I’m an expert by any means.  I use the research as a springboard and make things up to work in my story.  That’s why my novels are set in the future, so I can imagine new medical procedures and not be tied to what’s technically accurate right now.


2) What was your favorite read in 2015?

I had tons of favorites.  I especially enjoyed Andy Weir’s The Martian, Brian Selznick’s The Marvels, and Mary Pearson’s The Heart of Betrayal.  They were all incredibly original and transporting.


3) What was your favorite scene to write in The Rule of Mirrors?

That’s hard to answer because I don’t honestly have a scene that was my favorite to write. After countless rounds of revision, I’m pleased with how each scene came together.  In other words, the scenes are essentially all favorites or they would be cut from the novel.  I hope that makes sense.


4) What is your next project going to be? (If you cannot say too much what genre will it be)

I don’t know yet, and that’s a lovely feeling.  I have half a dozen different ideas which I save in a folder on my desktop, and I prod them from time to time to see if they’re getting into mischief. For now, I’m focused on the third novel in this series, and since I have a draft due in another week, I need to stay on task.


5) At what age did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I was in college, I think, when it occurred to me that I should try to write for my job.  Before that, I read and wrote as much as I could, but I still thought I wanted to be a physicist.  Then it took me several decades of writing and living before I was ready to write YA novels.  I’m still amazed that this is my full-time work, and I’ve been doing it for eight years now.


6) Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Oh, my goodness.  Pantser.  I long to be able to write a decent outline, but my mind doesn't work that way yet.  Maybe some day it will.


7) Whose writing most inspires you?

I tend to be inspired by whatever I’m reading, and I’m always admiring what other writers can pull off.  Marie Rutkoski’s The Winner’s Trilogy is so perceptive and lovely that it inspires me.  I’m also very taken with Anthony Doerr’s use of sensory details in All The Light We Cannot See.  Frederick Douglass, of course, is perhaps the most inspiring.  As a child, he was so hungry to learn that he traded his bread for reading lessons, and his Narrative blows me away.


8) What do you hope readers will take away from The Rule of Mirrors and Vault of Dreamers?

I just want readers to enjoy the story and feel happy they’ve spent time with the characters.


9) What TV show is a must for you to watch? (for example I can not miss Once Upon a Time)

Downton Abbey, naturally.


10) What inspired Vault of Dreamers?

I’ve been intrigued by reality TV shows and what their popularity indicates about our culture.  I’ve also always been interested in dreams, creativity, and education, so when I mixed everything together, I came up with The Forge School of the Arts which doubles as a reality TV show.  Then I added in the sinister use of the students’ dreams and I was good to go.  I liked how the stakes were high and I had layers of reality to work with.  Then I had a new challenge with The Rule of Mirrors, when Rosie’s consciousness was split in two and I had a double character to experiment with. I feel like I keep taking risks, and the challenges are good for me.


Thanks again, Fallon, for having me by!  Happy reading!



About the Author:

Caragh M. O'Brien is the author of the BIRTHMARKED trilogy and THE VAULT OF DREAMERS series, both from Macmillan/Roaring Brook Press. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, Ms. O'Brien was educated at Williams College and earned her MA from Johns Hopkins University. She recently resigned from teaching high school English in order to write young adult novels. For more information, visit http://www.caraghobrien.com.

Comments

  1. OOh nice! It's been TOO long since I've read The Vault of Dreamers what feels like eons ago, but I am looking forward to reading this one! Hoping that I will be able to dive back into the story without much hassle in trying to remember things! Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds like a great read. i love the x files so this sounds like right up my alley. // ▲ conundrumofcoitus.com ▲

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag