Heir to the Sky by Amanda Sun ~ Review


Heir to the Sky by 
Hardcover384 pages
Expected publication: April 26th 2016 
by Harlequin TEEN
Source: ARC Provided by Publisher
Rating: 4.5 Out of 5 Stars


Synopsis:

As heir to a kingdom of floating continents, Kali has spent her life bound by limits—by her duties as a member of the royal family; by a forced betrothal to the son of a nobleman; and by the edge of the only world she’s ever known—a small island hovering above a monster-ridden earth, long since uninhabited by humans. She is the Eternal Flame of Hope for what’s left of mankind, the wick and the wax burning in service for her people, and for their revered Phoenix, whose magic keeps them aloft.

When Kali falls off the edge of her kingdom and miraculously survives, she is shocked to discover there are still humans on the earth. Determined to get home, Kali entrusts a rugged monster-hunter named Griffin to guide her across a world overrun by chimera, storm dragons, basilisks, and other terrifying beasts. But the more time she spends on earth, the more dark truths she begins to uncover about her home in the sky, and the more resolute she is to start burning for herself.


Review:

Thank you Harlequin Teen for providing me an ARC of Heir to the Sky. It in no way affected my opinion.

Heir to the Sky was such a fast and imaginative, fun read. I loved the world building on the island you have this political kingdom that has layers of deception. Then again what kingdom doesn't. Kali is set to be married to align with someone that will benefit her people. She however, does not feel the passion she hoped she would feel for her betrothed. 

The story gets even more interesting when Kali falls from her home on the floating island. Everything she thought she knew is wrong. She soon discovers there are survivors on the ground. They are not helpless either. They fight to survive.

I love how Amanda Sun gave Kali a very real voice. She did not have this pampered princess fall and act like she was this she-warrior. No she fell and freaked out and then asked herself why nobody had ever taught her anything useful. She was willing to learn and not give up. I really loved her growth and strength of character.

Yes I was so taken by all the variety of creatures. They were so unique and fun to read about. The dragons were so frickin fantastic. I am hoping for a sequel with more. Then there were Griffins and sea serpents. Kali was running for her life the moment she hit the ground. There are so many twists and turns. Some I saw coming from a mile away and others I never expected. This is a unique adventure that I was so excited to read and it did not disappoint.


Buy Links:


About the Author

I’m a YA author and proud Nerdfighter. I was born in Deep River, Canada, a very small town without traffic lights or buses, and where stranger safety is comprised of what to do if you see a bear—or skunk. I started reading fantasy novels at 4 and writing as soon as I could hold a pencil. Hopefully my work’s improved since then.

​In university I took English, Linguistics, and Asian History, before settling into Archaeology, because I loved learning about the cultures and stories of ancient people. Of course, I didn’t actually become an archaeologist—I have an intense fear of spiders. I prefer unearthing fascinating stories in the safety of my living room.

​The Paper Gods is inspired by my time living in Osaka and travelling throughout Japan. That and watching far too many J-Dramas. I currently live in Toronto with my husband and daughter. When I’m not writing, I’m devouring YA books, knitting nerdy things like Companion Cubes and Triforce mitts, and making elaborate cosplays for anime cons.


Comments

  1. OOoohhhhh! I am now intrigued!! I've been seeing this one around a lot lately, but kept putting it off, but then after seeing it around some more, I finally became intrigued! This sounds soooooo good!!! Definitely going to have to pick this up soon!! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked this one! I've seen it for a while on GR and on blogs, but this is the first review I've seen. It looks really unique. I'm so happy to hear it doesn't disappoint. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review