The Hidden Twin by Adi Rule ~ Review



The Hidden Twin by 
Hardcover272 pages
Published March 22nd 2016 
by St. Martin's Griffin
Source: ARC provided by Publisher
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars


Synopsis:

For eighteen years a girl with no name, a Redwing, has been hidden away in a small attic room within a city of hissing pipes and curving temples perched on the side of the great volcano, Mol, while her sister, Jey-identical except for her eyes-has lived her life in public as an only child. Their father had hoped the hidden girl would one day grow up to be a normal human girl and not the wicked creature mythology has promised, so he secretly spared her life as an infant.

But when she switches places with her sister, striking up a flirtation with the son of the Empress while working in the royal gardens and gets attacks by two suspicious priests on her journey home, she is forced to call forth fire to protect herself, unleashing her previously dormant powers and letting her secret out. She soon catches the attention of a cult with a thousand year old grudge as well as a group of underground rebels, both seeking her for their own gain. But when her sister goes missing and the Redwing uncovers a great plot to awaken Mol and bring fiery destruction upon them all, she is forced to embrace her powers.

In Adi Rule's new novel, The Hidden Twin, the girl with no name, must choose a name and a path for herself, drawing a line between myth and history to prove herself more than a monster if she is to save both her sister and her home.

Review:

Thank you St. Martin Press for an ARC of The Hidden Twin for review. This in no way affected my opinion.

I am probably going to be a little harder then most on this one since I am an identical twin. There were moments I did not believe the relationship that they shared at all. Twins can run hot and cold. We love each other fiercely and when mad we get very mad. But we always forgive and come back together. That bond was definitely missing in this book.

I loved the concept and the incorporation of mythology. The twin with no name but labeled a Redwing was a great character and if the story had just been on her and there was no twin I might have liked it better. I also wish there was more explanation of the others. I mean are they fey? or what I still do not know. They answer peoples call for help and are princes and princess from below and come through the volcano but that is as much as I was given. I needed more to relate to the premise. I hope the finished copy maybe adds a little more background to Redwings mother.

Now the ending was fantastic I loved the battle. I am still mad at Jey though. I liked the mystery and mythology the book had. It took time to figure out who was behind what and who was on what side. This was a very fast read. I am giving The Hidden Twin 3 out of 5 Stars.



Buy Links:



About the Author
I write in a studio apartment filled with books, cats, pictures of cats, musical instruments, video games, records, and a macaw who refuses to say, "Shiver me timbers!" despite the fact that it would be the best thing ever. When I'm not writing, I may be found playing Triple Yahtzee with my grandmother or singing in the chorus of the Boston Symphony Orchestra/Boston Pops, with whom I have also been a soloist.
I earned my MFA in writing from the Vermont College of Fine Arts, and I also have a BA in voice from the University of New Hampshire. I am represented by Ammi-Joan Paquette of the Erin Murphy Literary Agency.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag