Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1) by Jay Kristoff ~ Review


Hardcover448 pages
Expected publication: August 9th 2016 
by Thomas Dunne Books
Source: ARC Provided by Publisher
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars

Synopsis:

The first in a new fantasy series from the New York Times bestselling author.

In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.

Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.

Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.

Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?

Review:

Thank you Thomas Dunne books for sending me a copy of Nevernight for review. This in no way affected my opinion. 

This was one of my most anticipated reads this year. The beginning drew me in and I just wanted to devour all of Mia emotions and despair. About 50 pages in I had to stop reading the footnotes or I would have DNF the book. I think the footnotes are my biggest complaint. I really feel some of the information given while interesting was unnecessary and just should have been put into the world building. I also felt like it did not give (us) the reader enough credit to put the pieces together. I think the information should have been added in a glossary at the end.

I absolutely loved the desert scenes and the chemistry between Mia and Tric. I liked Mia's character at the beginning a little more then as the story went on. I think Tric's character ended up being my favorite as the story went on. When Nevernight's action scenes came into the forefront the pacing was fantastic and I flew through the pages but there were definitely moments I felt the stories pacing slow down.

By far my favorite part besides the opening was once they got to the Red Church. I loved the deception and politics that happened while Mia and Tric were training. This story was so unique and Jay has a powerful voice in the fantasy world and I look forward to seeing where he takes this series next.





Buy Links:




About the Author:

Jay Kristoff is the New York Times and internationally bestselling author of THE LOTUS WAR, THE ILLUMINAE FILES and THE NEVERNIGHT CHRONICLE. He is the winner of two Aurealis Awards, an ABIA, nominee for the David Gemmell Morningstar and Legend awards, named multiple times in the Kirkus and Amazon Best Teen Books list and published in over twenty-five countries, most of which he has never visited. He is as surprised about all of this as you are. He is 6’7 and has approximately 13030 days to live. He abides in Melbourne with his secret agent kung-fu assassin wife, and the world’s laziest Jack Russell.

He does not believe in happy endings.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review