Vicarious (Vicarious #1) by Paula Stokes ~ Review


Vicarious (Vicarious #1) by 
Hardcover336 pages
Expected publication: August 16th 2016 
by Tor
Source: ARC Provided by Publisher
Rating: 3.5 Out of 5 Stars



Synopsis:

Winter Kim and her sister, Rose, have always been inseparable. Together, the two of them survived growing up in a Korean orphanage and being trafficked into the United States.

Now they work as digital stunt girls for Rose’s ex-boyfriend, Gideon, engaging in dangerous and enticing activities while recording their neural impulses for his Vicarious Sensory Experiences, or ViSEs. Whether it’s bungee jumping, shark diving, or grinding up against celebrities at the city’s hottest dance clubs, Gideon can make it happen for you, for a price.

When Rose disappears and a ViSE recording of her murder is delivered to Gideon, Winter won’t rest until she finds her sister’s killer. But when the clues she uncovers conflict with the neural recordings her sister made, Winter isn’t sure what to believe. To find out what happened to Rose, she’ll have to untangle what’s real from what only seems real, risking her life in the process.
 


Review:


Thank you Tor for sending me a copy of Vicarious for review. This in no way affected my opinion.

Vicarious has some very gripping and emotional moments. This is a book themed for older teens as some of the material may not be appropriate for younger readers. I am not a contemporary fan but sometimes I find a book that grips me enough to make that exception. Vicarious was one of those stories. I did think their would be a little more science fiction feel with this being a Tor book so it took me a little off guard and a little longer for the story to really pull me in.

Winter was the kind of character who was strong even though her life had been one trauma after the other. I felt for her character and I really loved her best friend Jesse. A very swoon worthy best friend. I loved the twists and turns of Vicarious. I never saw all those twists coming at the end. If you love a good contemporary, suspenseful mystery then this is the story for you.



Buy Links:




About the Author:

*** Please contact me via the contact information on my website: authorpaulastokes.com ***

Paula Stokes is half writer, half RN, and totally thrilled to be part of the world of YA literature. She started out writing historical fiction under a pen name and is now branching out into other YA genres.

When she's not working (rare), she's kayaking, hiking, reading, or seeking out new adventures in faraway lands. She's petted tigers, snuggled snakes, snorkeled with stingrays, and once enjoyed the suction-cuppy feel of a baby elephant's trunk as it ate peanuts from her palm. Her future goals include diving with Great White sharks, learning Krav Maga, and writing a whole slew of novels, not necessarily in that order.



Comments

  1. Oh nice! This one caught my eye because of it's sort of sci-fi/dystopian feel and mostly because I see it's based in my hometown! LOL! Glad to hear that it was interesting, if a little slow. It's definitely one I plan to keep an eye on! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag