The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #2) by Erika Johansen ~ Review


The Invasion of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #2) by 
Hardcover, 515 pages
Published June 9th 2015 
by Harper
Source: Paperback provided by Publisher
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars


Synopsis:

Kelsea Glynn is the Queen of the Tearling. Despite her youth, she has quickly asserted herself as a fair, just and powerful ruler.

However, power is a double-edged sword, and small actions can have grave consequences. In trying to do what is right - stopping a vile trade in humankind - Kelsea has crossed the Red Queen, a ruthless monarch whose rule is bound with dark magic and the spilling of blood. The Red Queen's armies are poised to invade the Tearling, and it seems nothing can stop them.

Yet there was a time before the Crossing, and there Kelsea finds a strange and possibly dangerous ally, someone who might hold the key to the fate of the Tearling, and indeed to Kelsea's own soul. But time is running out...

Erika Johansen's fierce and unforgettable young heroine returns in this dazzling new novel of magic and adventure, set in the beguiling world of the Tearling.
 

Review:

Thank you Harper for sending me a copy of The Invasion of the Tearling for review. This in no way affected my opinion.


This book took me a while to get through. The writing was strong and emotional and fantastic. I just related to Lily's story so much that it took me to a very emotional place. Erika wrote about things most do not even talk about. Most women do not even know that maratial rape is a real thing. But Erika tackles this emotional topic through flashes in time of Lily's life. The fantasy gets upped and war and stakes come to a collide.


Erika is now one of my favorite authors and I hope to meet her someday and discuss how even though this book took me to an emotional place and took sometime to get through it was necessary and raw and beautiful all at the same time. 


As a victim of domestic violence I will say my story was so similar and that any victim of this kind of violence might want some time before picking up this story. I have been healed and away from my previous marriage and relationship for 11 years so I was able  to get through this but it might be harder for someone in that situation currently. I am adding this discloser since I had family members even read this before me and nobody informed me that there was content of this nature. 




Buy Links:







About the Author:

Erika Johansen grew up in the San Francisco Bay area. She went to Swarthmore College, earned an MFA from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, and eventually became an attorney, but she never stopped writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Marvels by Brian Selznick ~ Review by Fallon

The Tsar's Guard Spotlight Tour: #International #Giveaway #win The Crown's Fate by Evelyn Skye - art & Swag