Lucky in Love by Kasie West ~ Review by Allison



Lucky in Love
Hardcover333 pages
Published July 25th 2017 
by Scholastic
Source: ARC 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


Synopsis:

Can’t buy me love…

Maddie’s not impulsive. She’s all about hard work and planning ahead. But one night, on a whim, she buys a lottery ticket. And then, to her astonishment—

She wins!

In a flash, Maddie’s life is unrecognizable. No more stressing about college scholarships. Suddenly, she’s talking about renting a yacht. And being in the spotlight at school is fun…until rumors start flying, and random people ask her for loans. Now Maddie isn’t sure who she can trust.

Except for Seth Nguyen, her funny, charming coworker at the local zoo. Seth doesn’t seem aware of Maddie’s big news. And, for some reason, she doesn’t want to tell him. But what will happen if he learns her secret?
 


Review:

I have been a big fan of Kasie West’s books since I first discovered her years ago. I have loved her cute, fun, and summery love stories. Out of all of her books there was one that I really wasn’t a big fan of, but mostly I absolutely love them. I was happily surprised that I really enjoyed Lucky in Love. Typically, I do not enjoy lottery books or books where someone suddenly gains a large sum of money. It is just very stressful and I do not enjoy the fact that they lose a sense of reality.

I enjoyed how level headed Maddie was. She won the lottery and she didn’t lose her sense of self. She wasn’t crazy with her money and buying the most extravagant items. She was able to buy herself a few things that she has always wanted and needed (i.e. a new car, new clothes, things for her family, etc) but then didn’t blow it all away on things that she didn’t need. I love how she decided to put money away for college. I completely understand her reluctance to leave her family because I was very similar to her, but I ended up staying home. I like that throughout the whole book she was debating with herself about going to a school that she really wanted to go to versus a school she wanted to go to but for reasons other than her love of the school.

I love that Seth is an Asian character. I completely understand the pressure from his family about school and not supporting an “artistic” career over a “sensible” major. I wasn’t sure what his role in Maddie’s life was going to be because he was there from the beginning of the book, but as the story went on I was happy that he was there. He is such a calming, funny, and perfect character for Maddie. He is so supportive and helpful

I understand Maddie’s opinion about who she told about the lottery winning. If I was in her situation I would not tell people either with the fear that they would treat me differently. Seth was a constant in her life that didn’t actually treat her any different when he found out, and he understood that she would tell him in her own time. I enjoyed Seth in the story and like how her zoo life was separate from her school life.

Plot wise I wasn’t too interested in the story after I realized what was going on because there are such slim odds for winning the lottery. The other Kasie West’s books were realistic, but this one was just fun and not many people could relate to it (in my opinion). I tis a fun and entertaining book. The other thing that I wasn’t too happy with was that the cover model for Seth didn’t look Asian.

Overall, I did enjoy Lucky in Love. I read it in less than a day and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the book seeing as Windfall (by Jennifer E Smith) made me so stressed when I read that book.

I rate this book a four out of five stars.




Buy Links:


Follow Allison on her Instagram Account





About the Author:

I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, PS I LIKE YOU, and BY YOUR SIDE. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release Day Blitz: #Giveaway #Win @RivetedLit ZERO REPEAT FOREVER by Gabrielle Prendergast ~ Review